My Story: Thomas Pointon.
- St Mary's Stories

- Sep 26
- 2 min read
Updated: Oct 11
Our longest standing parishioner: witnessed the consecration of our church as a child.

Tom was born in 1930 and the Pointon family moved from the Parish Community at the end of 1930 from Wheelock to Crewe when Tom’s father, Joseph, who had just qualified as a LMS Senior Train Driver on the Euston to Glasgow route was stationed at Crewe. They found a house near the Catholic church, which was perfect for them since it was close to work, the school and the church. The Parish Clergy at that time were Father (later Canon) Quinn, who was practical and very much hands on, while Father Lyons was more of a stickler for the rules! Canon Quinn was also very involved with the community and formed a close bond with many parishioners, but particularly with Joseph Crawford (whose daughter Lucy later married Tom). He even helped out with farm work on his days off and became like family to them until he passed away in 1975.
Tom started helping out at the church as a bellows pumper (for which he was paid with a sweet if he did the job properly!) and later, after his First Communion, became an altar boy.
The parish church was consecrated in 1939 by Bishop Ambrose Moriarty. There were lots of preparations, including cleaning, decorating, and organizing roles for the ceremony. Tom recalls having the special job of carrying the Bishop’s train.

On the day of the Consecration, there was a big procession with police assistance, and the church doors were specially modified for the event. They even made a cake replica of the church and raffled it off! The Consecration ceremony was a Pontifical High Mass with Gregorian chanting attended by civic leaders and parish groups.
During World War II, the church participated in blackout measures, and a barrage balloon was set up nearby. There was an incident with German aircraft flying over the church, which added to the wartime tension.
St. Mary’s School was started in 1935 with a small group of children and had several teachers by 1940. Some of the teachers were known for being strict! Quite a few of whom were later called up for war service.

In the 1940s, the parish introduced an extra Sunday Mass to accommodate workers’ schedules who were now working on additional different shifts because of the war effort.
Canon Quinn was transferred in 1940 to Birkenhead when a bombing in Birkenhead sadly killed the Parish Priest there. His successor was Father Roberts, who was known for giving car rides to altar boys, and the community, in his Austin 7 motor car.



Comments